- There is a lot of traffic.
- It can be influential.
- The home page gets a mix of traffic types.
- The traffic is highly variable over time.
- There are more than just prospects hitting your homepage.
- Determining the goal can be a challenge.
- Any change you make will affect your search engine rankings.
Matthew Roche says
Scott is a friend, and a very astute testing guy, but there is more to this story. Home page tests (especially those done in-house) often end up with 50-50 results.
I wrote an article on this phenomenon:
Do Your Home Page Tests Flop? We Know Why